Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog 8: The Other

When I was just a freshman in high school, I stood outside of a puppy mill with a group of people and protested the atrocities that these dogs had to go through. At that moment, I was only a few months into my vegan lifestyle, but as I held up that sign and screamed in rage toward this torture chamber, I realized that this was my enemy, and from that point on always will be. Being an animal rights activist is not only about going to protests and not eating meat, it’s about being a voice for the animals that don’t have one. It’s about putting you in their place, and thinking beyond the fact that they are “just an animal”. Who would they stop, if only they could? What would they say?
I feel that those who participate in the exploitation of animals are the “other” for me. I can never understand why a person would want to contribute to the suffering of another being for the sake of their own benefit, vanity, or their taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment